Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 140

Thread: Filmmaking for peace...

  1. #111
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    Yes, I too find the phrase, America, Love it or Leave it, quite offensive.

    ------------------
    Alex

  2. #112
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:
    Yes, I too find the phrase, America, Love it or Leave it, quite offensive.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Then why be the only person in this thread to use it?

    Roger

  3. #113
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    Moviestuff:

    Huh? Please clarify.

    (on last post regarding ALex' comment)




    ------------------

  4. #114
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crimsonson:
    Moviestuff:

    Huh? Please clarify.

    (on last post regarding ALex' comment)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I see no one saying "America, Love it or Leave it." I see people taking a no nonsense and practical position about America's place in the world. The phrase "America, Love it or Leave it" insinuates a hardline, illogical and belligerant attitude that I do not find present on this thread at all, despite people's opposing views. Therefore, I see little use in Alex portraying what other people have said as something they clearly did not mean.

    Of course, this thread is very long. Perhaps someone did say specifically "America, Love it or Leave it" but I don't recall it, ever.

    Roger

  5. #115
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    Roger: I was referring to Matt's summation

    .....So all you anti-U.S.'ers out there (and in this country), just sit alone for an hour or so, and imagine what the world would be like without us doing what we do, and have done in the past, mistakes and all...

    ----------------------------------------------

    -Alex

    ------------------
    Alex

  6. #116
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:
    Roger: I was referring to Matt's summation

    .....So all you anti-U.S.'ers out there (and in this country), just sit alone for an hour or so, and imagine what the world would be like without us doing what we do, and have done in the past, mistakes and all...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Again, what's your point? It's a valid statement and is not beligerent or illogical in the slightest.

    This whole thing reminds me of a line from "Annie Hall" where Woody Allen recounts two old ladies standing in line at a cafeteria.

    Lady #1: The food here is just terrible.

    Lady #2: Yeah. And in such small portions, too.

    Roger

  7. #117
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    OK Roger, now you did it.
    Now I'm going to have to watch Annie Hall, even though I can't stand Woody Allen pics!

    Anyway, Alex, I've never in my life said "America, love it or leave it", nor am I in favor of rabin nationalism.
    I am NOT hanging flags all over my house and car like everyone else seems to be these days, etc., and if someone wants to do that, fine, but I'm not into symbolic statements that don't actually do anything, which is why I'm no longer a liberal. (Well, I am about somethings, like why is polygamy illegal, when every other sexual situation, or living situation that isn't hurting anyone considered OK?).
    In fact, I've gotten in many political arguments with people over my supposed lack of patriotism in general, mostly over my refusal to have political heroes, which is find bizarre, given the history of what happens when people start worshiping their political leaders.

    Hyperactive nationalism and the exaggerated reverence that people have for their politcal heroes is dangerous, and is what has brought the world such swell guys as Hitler, Stalin and Chairman Mao (yes, you lefties, I put them in the same sentence. Mao is responsible for far more deaths than Hitler). Not to mention Napoleon, Alexander the Not-so-Great, Roman leaders, etc.

    I am a big fan of dissent, but the fact that I am dissagreeing with your statement of dissent, DOES NOT mean I don't support your right to dissent.
    Sorry, this is an old, tired trick of liberals in this country, and it's getting a bid old:
    You get to say whatever you want to about anything, because of freedom of speech (rightly so), but if I disagree with you, that act alone somehow means I'm saying you don't have the right to speak your opinion, which is utter BS.

    You get to state your opinion.
    I get to state my opinion, OK.

    I never said that I didn't think you had the right to state your opinion, I'm merely disagreeing with that opinion.

    You insinuating that I'm trying to silence you, is in fact an act of trying to silence ME by intimidation...
    This is the new censorship in America.

    And besides, I don't agree that Marily Monroe is THAT famous. The fact that she is as famouns as she is, is most likely because once a celebrity dies, you can use their likeness to market related products without having to pay any royalties or be sued by them for slander, etc., so there's probably an "EVIL" profit motive at work...
    She's not even that attractive, if you ask me.
    My list of more attractive active actresses (that aren't even dead!), woudl be:

    Mia Sara
    Lelee Sobiesky
    Mimi Rogers
    Olivia Williams (ever see Rushmore? she was also B. Willis' wife in 6th sense) oh yeah!..
    Helena Bonham Carter
    Margaret Thatcher (just kidding!)


    Matt Pacini


    ------------------

  8. #118
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    OK Roger, now you did it.
    Now I'm going to have to watch Annie Hall, even though I can't stand Woody Allen pics!

    Anyway, Alex, I've never in my life said "America, love it or leave it", nor am I in favor of rabin nationalism.
    I am NOT hanging flags all over my house and car like everyone else seems to be these days, etc., and if someone wants to do that, fine, but I'm not into symbolic statements that don't actually do anything, which is why I'm no longer a liberal. (Well, I am about somethings, like why is polygamy illegal, when every other sexual situation, or living situation that isn't hurting anyone considered OK?).
    In fact, I've gotten in many political arguments with people over my supposed lack of patriotism in general, mostly over my refusal to have political heroes, which is find bizarre, given the history of what happens when people start worshiping their political leaders.

    Hyperactive nationalism and the exaggerated reverence that people have for their politcal heroes is dangerous, and is what has brought the world such swell guys as Hitler, Stalin and Chairman Mao (yes, you lefties, I put them in the same sentence. Mao is responsible for far more deaths than Hitler). Not to mention Napoleon, Alexander the Not-so-Great, Roman leaders, etc.

    I am a big fan of dissent, but the fact that I am dissagreeing with your statement of dissent, DOES NOT mean I don't support your right to dissent.
    Sorry, this is an old, tired trick of liberals in this country, and it's getting a bid old:
    You get to say whatever you want to about anything, because of freedom of speech (rightly so), but if I disagree with you, that act alone somehow means I'm saying you don't have the right to speak your opinion, which is utter BS.

    You get to state your opinion.
    I get to state my opinion, OK.

    I never said that I didn't think you had the right to state your opinion, I'm merely disagreeing with that opinion.

    You insinuating that I'm trying to silence you, is in fact an act of trying to silence ME by intimidation...
    This is the new censorship in America.

    And besides, I don't agree that Marily Monroe is THAT famous. The fact that she is as famouns as she is, is most likely because once a celebrity dies, you can use their likeness to market related products without having to pay any royalties or be sued by them for slander, etc., so there's probably an "EVIL" profit motive at work...
    She's not even that attractive, if you ask me.
    My list of more attractive active actresses (that aren't even dead!), woudl be:

    Mia Sara
    Lelee Sobiesky
    Mimi Rogers
    Olivia Williams (ever see Rushmore? she was also B. Willis' wife in 6th sense) oh yeah!..
    Helena Bonham Carter
    Margaret Thatcher (just kidding!)


    Matt Pacini


    ------------------

  9. #119
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    OK Roger, now you did it.
    Now I'm going to have to watch Annie Hall, even though I can't stand Woody Allen pics!

    Anyway, Alex, I've never in my life said "America, love it or leave it", nor am I in favor of rabin nationalism.
    I am NOT hanging flags all over my house and car like everyone else seems to be these days, etc., and if someone wants to do that, fine, but I'm not into symbolic statements that don't actually do anything, which is why I'm no longer a liberal. (Well, I am about somethings, like why is polygamy illegal, when every other sexual situation, or living situation that isn't hurting anyone considered OK?).
    In fact, I've gotten in many political arguments with people over my supposed lack of patriotism in general, mostly over my refusal to have political heroes, which is find bizarre, given the history of what happens when people start worshiping their political leaders.

    Hyperactive nationalism and the exaggerated reverence that people have for their politcal heroes is dangerous, and is what has brought the world such swell guys as Hitler, Stalin and Chairman Mao (yes, you lefties, I put them in the same sentence. Mao is responsible for far more deaths than Hitler). Not to mention Napoleon, Alexander the Not-so-Great, Roman leaders, etc.

    I am a big fan of dissent, but the fact that I am dissagreeing with your statement of dissent, DOES NOT mean I don't support your right to dissent.
    Sorry, this is an old, tired trick of liberals in this country, and it's getting a bid old:
    You get to say whatever you want to about anything, because of freedom of speech (rightly so), but if I disagree with you, that act alone somehow means I'm saying you don't have the right to speak your opinion, which is utter BS.

    You get to state your opinion.
    I get to state my opinion, OK.

    I never said that I didn't think you had the right to state your opinion, I'm merely disagreeing with that opinion.

    You insinuating that I'm trying to silence you, is in fact an act of trying to silence ME by intimidation...
    This is the new censorship in America.

    And besides, I don't agree that Marily Monroe is THAT famous. The fact that she is as famouns as she is, is most likely because once a celebrity dies, you can use their likeness to market related products without having to pay any royalties or be sued by them for slander, etc., so there's probably an "EVIL" profit motive at work...
    She's not even that attractive, if you ask me.
    My list of more attractive active actresses (that aren't even dead!), woudl be:

    Mia Sara
    Lelee Sobiesky
    Mimi Rogers
    Olivia Williams (ever see Rushmore? she was also B. Willis' wife in 6th sense) oh yeah!..
    Helena Bonham Carter
    Margaret Thatcher (just kidding!)


    Matt Pacini


    ------------------

  10. #120
    digvid
    Guest digvid's Avatar

    Post

    I have heard several people criticize the cruelty of the United States for "killing millions of innocent children in Iraq" by denying them food and medicine. These people might want to do some research on the web and look up the details of the sanctions levied against Iraq. The importation/purchase of food and medicine is not prohibited by the sanctions. For the United States' side of the story, take a look at this web-site: http://usinfo.state.gov/regional/nea/iraq/iraq99.htm.

    - digvid

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •